Bowers has employed Green building techniques long before it became the “in” thing to do. Green building is the use of techniques and materials that promote the health of your family, your community and the environment. Green building is just common sense; good for the client, good for the environment. Here are some of the Green principals Bowers does on every project:
- When we design a remodeling project, we start with the question, “how can we reuse existing space in the house to meet the client’s needs?” Sometimes, clients’ needs can be accomplished by reconfiguring their current space. We always consider this option first, before we add space to the home. This saves on the use of new building materials.
- Our entire staff believes in thinking green. Not only because it is the right thing to do, but we understand that it is a long term benefit for our community and our environment.
- We reuse and recycle old building materials. Whether is it reusing flooring or doors… we look for ways to reuse good quality, safe materials. This is always done, of course, with the permission of the client.
- We always recommend high efficiency windows, doors, insulation and other building materials. It not only saves on the client’s heating and cooling bills, but helps the environment.
- We encourage use of low water use plumbing fixtures and appliances.
- We design kitchens and mud rooms with space for household recycling receptacles.
- We love the look of natural materials, but we encourage the use of synthetic materials that have an authentic look when appropriate. This saves our natural resources and some help with energy bills.
This is by no means the complete list of Green techniques that can be used. For more tips and ideas on building green, visit www.greenhomeguide.org.